Front Spar Progress!

Today, after 2 days of reading, worrying, procrastinating, and practicing on scraps, I made the bend!  I bent the HS-810 and HS-814 ears to exactly 6 degrees, using my homemade go-no-go gauge.

Van’s Says make the gauge out of cardboard.  But, I happened to have a scrap piece of laminate laying around.  And, it seemed like the perfect material for this.  I used a good old nav-plotter to lay out the 6 degree angle on the laminate piece, then cut it with a band saw.  And, I smoothed out the cut with the deburring wheel on my bench grinder, checking it for straightness on my counter top.

It worked like a charm and the whole thing was pretty much a non-event.

I also relieve the flanges at the bend lines on the HS-702 front spar halves, then bent them to match, using a block of wood and a pair of vice grips on the edge of a work table.

Not much.  But, that’s as far as I go until I worry over the plans and drawings for the next part of the puzzle.  I’m also going to include the front spar reinforcement from Van’s service bulletin (SB-14-01-31).

Measuring the bend angle on one side of the HS-810 with hand-made

Measuring the bend angle on one side of the HS-810 with hand-made “go-no-go” gauge.

IMG_1193

HS front spar with bends

HS front spar with bends

This entry was posted in Empennage. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s